A total of 21 universities have been listed by the UGC. Eight of these 21 fake universities are in Uttar Pradesh (the highest in the country) while six others are in Delhi.
Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bihar and West Bengal have one fake university each.
According to the University Grants Commission Act, 1956, only a university established by the Central/State/Provincial Act or an institution deemed to be university under Section 3 of the Act is allowed to call themselves as university.
Thereby, any institution that does not comply with the above rule is prohibited from using the term 'university' under Section 23 of the Act.
"Therefore, students and public at large are informed that such 21 self-styled and unrecognized institutions, functioning under the contravention of the UGC Act are declared as fake, and are not entitled to confer any degrees further," the UGC said in its notice.
Here is the list of the fake universities:
1. Maithili University, Darbhanga, Bihar
2. Varanseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Delhi
3. Commercial University Ltd, Delhi
4. United Nations University, Delhi
5. Vocational University, Delhi
6. ADR- Central Juridical University, Delhi
7. Indian Institution of Science and Engineering, Delhi
8. Badagnavi Sarkar World Open Educational Society, Belgaum, Karnataka
9. St. John's University, Kishanattam, Kerala
10. Kesarwani Vidyapith, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh
11. Raja Arabic University, Nagpur, Maharashtra
12. D D B Sanskrit University, Putur, Trichy, Tamil Nadu
13. Indian institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkata, West Bengal
14. Mahila Gram Vidyapith, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
15. Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
16. National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
17. Netaki Subhash Chandra Bose University, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh
18. Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Uttar Pradesh
19. Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vidyalaya, Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh
20. Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Noida-Phase II, Uttar Pradesh
21. Gurukul Vishwavidyalaya, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh