- The Socio-Economic standing of women in India is the lowest among 16 Asia Pacific countries, according to Mastercard’s latest Index of Women’s Advancement.
- Indian women stand even lower than their counterparts from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, the survey said.
- Across the region, New Zealand had the highest overall Index score of 77, followed by Australia (76), the Philippines (72.6) and Singapore (70.5).
- India (44.2), Bangladesh (44.6) and Sri Lanka (46.2) had scores below 50, indicating that much more needs to be done to achieve gender parity.
- Ahead of PM Narendra Modi's Colombo visit, Prime Minister Ranil Wickramasinghe has stoked a controversy saying that Indian fishermen may be shot if they intruded into Sri Lankan waters.
- The Budget Sessions of both Andhra Pradesh and Telangana Assemblies began today.
- The Budget Sessions of both Assemblies are being held simultaneously for the first time after the reorganisation of these states last year.
- Telangana Finance Minister E. Rajender will present the Annual Budget on 11th March 2015, while his Andhra Pradesh counterpart Yanamala Ramakrishnudu will present the budget on 12th March 2015.
- Governor for both states : ESL Narasimhan
- To mark International Womens Day tomorrow, Union Health and Family Welfare Ministry organizing 3-day special Health Camps throughout country from 8th to 10th March 2015.
- Under the initiative, special health check-up camps will be held at the District Hospitals, Sub-district Hospitals (SDHs) and Community Health Centers (CHCs) on three days.
- These will offer free of charge health check-up to all women, including pregnant women across the country.
- Union health and Family Welfare Minister : J P Nadda
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) today said it has linked 15 crore bank accounts with Aadhaar number.
- NPCI is the nodal agency for all retail payment systems under the Jan Dhan scheme.
- Indian ace shuttler Saina Nehwal becomes the first Indian woman player to reach the finals of All England Badminton Championships.
- She defeated Wang Yihan of China.
- Snooker has been short-listed among three sports to be included in the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo
- World Cup
- Pakistan beats South Africa by 29 runs
- Ireland prevails over Zimbabwe with a five-run win.
Science & Technology
- NASA’s Dawn spacecraft has created history by becoming the first mission to achieve orbit around the dwarf planet Ceres with an aim of providing new insights and capturing images from the distant world.
- The spacecraft was approximately 61,000 kilometres from Ceres when it was captured by the dwarf planet’s gravity.
- Kerala Assembly Speaker G Karthikeyan (66) passes away.
- Walmart India today announced two executive appointments with Ashwin Mittal as the new Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Javier Rojo as head of Real Estate and Business Development.
- Mittal will replace Jill Anderson, currently the CFO of Walmart India, who will soon repatriate back to Walmart in US/